To say the humble spaghetti squash has got me all excited is an understatement.
One bite of this fabulous, low carb squash and I began to envision all kinds of ways to use it. Ways to replace your former high carb favorite foods (like pasta and potatoes) so you can still enjoy comfort foods without the glycemic payload delivered by pasta and potatoes. This Mock Baked Spaghetti is a comfort food you’re sure to love.
This recipe is super easy to throw together using ingredients you have on hand. I’m somewhat of a “purist” and prefer to not use prepackaged foods, but if you’re not you can use what you have.
Trim Healthy Mamas, here’s the skinny on this Mock Baked Spaghetti dish.
- For an S meal, use any percent lean ground meat, be sure to include lots of non-starchy veggies on your plate such as broccoli or a nice leafy green salad with Balsamic Mustard Vinaigrette. If you like bread with your spaghetti, try my Garlic Biscuits!
- For an E meal, use 96% lean or higher ground meat (or rinse fattier meat well with hot water after cooking). Lots of non-starchy veggies, too but don’t forget an E fuel source such as Briana Thomas’ Homemade Bread, Gwen’s Nest Easy Bread, Nana’s Little Kitchen’s Sprouted Cottage Wheat Bread, or Joyful Jane’s Easy Sprouted Whole Wheat and Honey Bread Machine recipe.
- For a FP meal, keep your fats low like in E and carbs low like in S and round out your plate with lots of non-starchy veggies.
- 4 c baked, shredded spaghetti squash. Read how to easily bake a whole spaghetti squash here
- 1 pound lean ground meat, any percent lean is fine for S (For an E meal, use either grass fed beef, ground chicken or turkey breast (96% lean or higher), or venison OR any % ground meat rinsed in hot water after cooking)
- 3 c homemade marinara (recipe below)
- 2 Tbs "nooch" (nutritional yeast)
- 1 tbs butter (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ c shredded mozzarella
- ½ tsp Greek or Italian seasoning, if desired
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- ¼ c diced onion, or more as desired
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed OR 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp Greek or Italian seasoning, or as desired
- 1 to 2 Tbs nutritional yeast, optional
- salt and pepper as desired
- stevia or other healthy sweetener if needed
- Saute onions in olive oil over medium high heat until soft.
- Add garlic and saute a minute or two…don’t let it burn!
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings.
- If needed, add a pinch or so of stevia.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes or longer if desired or use right away.
- Brown ground meat.
- Drain and rinse if needed.
- If your spaghetti squash is freshly baked and warm, mix in a tablespoon of butter (for S version, omit for E or FP version).
- Add salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.
- Combine meat, sauce and spaghetti squash.
- Pour into a lightly greased 2½ quart baking dish or casserole and top with mozzarella and a sprinkle of Greek or Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top. Makes four very generous servings, or serves a family of four with a bit of leftovers.
For a THM E meal include an E fuel source, such as Briana Thomas' Homemade Bread, Gwen's Nest Easy Bread, Nana's Little Kitchen's Sprouted Cottage Wheat Bread, or Joyful Jane's Easy Sprouted Whole Wheat and Honey Bread Machine recipe.
Be sure to pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board, and follow Oh Sweet Mercy for more low-carb recipes!
This post was shared on Lou Lou Girl’s Fabulous Linky Party!