For breakfast this morning, I played a game of What’s In The Fridge…
You know…the game you play when you didn’t plan ahead and you have no idea what sounds good or what you even have…
I rummaged around in there and found some leftover plain, cooked spaghetti squash. I like to cook a spaghetti squash or two to have it on hand for easy sides or meals. Then I threw together this easy and delicious S version by adding mushrooms, garlic and chives freshly picked this morning and cooking it in buttah. Mmmmm….buttah! It paired very well with a fried fresh egg from one of our backyard chickens.
Oh sweet mercy.
It hit the spot.
What’s so great about spaghetti squash, anyway?
I was excited to see in the new Trim Healthy Mama Plan book that spaghetti squash is a Fuel Pull veggie. It’s low in carbs and fat, so that means you can eat liberal amounts of this glorious pasta and potato substitute! The new THM plan book is terrific – it’s a simplified and updated version of the original (read my review of that book here). While you’re at it, check out the gorgeous new cookbook too. It’s full of delicious, healthy recipes.
Wondering how to cook a spaghetti squash? I’ll tell you how in this post…it’s super easy!
You might want to try these yummy spaghetti squash recipes, too.
Spaghetti squash is suitable for any time of the day. It’s probably my favorite Fuel Pull Veggie. That means you can load your plate with this yummy goodness! Here’s a few of my favorite recipes:
Squashbrowns (mock hash browns!)
Turkey Hash with Spaghetti Squash (use up those Holiday leftovers!)
Don’t Forget to Pin this Recipe to Your Favorite Pinterest Boards!
If you have the new Trim Healthy Mama cookbook, make a batch of the Trim Healthy Bouillon and sprinkle some in for a single serving, or add up to one tablespoon for a whole squash-sized side dish.
A quick, easy and simple low carb and gluten/grain free side dish that's perfect for a family meal, potluck or holiday feast. Trim Healthy Mama friendly too!
- 1/2 c cooked spaghetti squash
- 1-2 Tb butter
- 1-2 mini Bella mushrooms, or mushroom of choice, diced or sliced OR more if you're a big mushroom lover
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 Tb fresh, snipped chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL - Trim Healthy Bouillion, from the new Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1 stick butter, plus more if desired
- 1 8 oz package of mini Bella mushrooms, or mushrooms of choice, diced or sliced
- 1/2 c fresh snipped chives
- 4-6 cloves garlic, pressed or minced (more or less to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Up to 1 tablespoon of Trim Healthy Bouillon
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet or large pot if making multiple servings and add mushrooms
- Saute for a few minutes, until they start to brown
- Add garlic and stir about 30 seconds (garlic burns quickly!)
- Add spaghetti squash and stir well to coat all the squash with butter
- If necessary, add more butter
- Cook a few minutes until squash is warmed through
- Add chives and mix well
- Season with salt and pepper
- If adding Trim Healthy Bouillon, add a teaspoon at a time until it tastes like you like
Prep and cook time will vary depending on if you're making a single serving or using a whole squash. Does not include initial cooking time for the spaghetti squash itself, it's assumed that you already have some cooked spaghetti squash on hand. Baking a spaghetti squash in the oven takes 60-90 minutes so plan accordingly if you're making a whole spaghetti squash for multiple servings.
I partied at Motivation Monday with this post!