Looking for some great ideas for those Fuel Pull snacks, Trim Healthy Mamas?
Since I’ve been on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, I haven’t done a whole lot of Fuel Pull snacks or meals, since they are more restrictive in both carbs and fat.
I don’t like restrictions…what can I say?
Well, and part of it was that I didn’t want to blow it and end up with something E or S when I was going for Fuel Pull snacks. There’s that.
So when my fellow YouFood friend Kristen asked me to put together this list of Fuel Pull ideas, I decided I better start implementing them more often!
A Fuel Pull has very little fat and very little carbs, which forces your body to burn stored fuel.
We usually call that stored fuel flab, don’t we ladies? I know I need to start forcing my body to burn up the fuel it has saved for a rainy day, so I’m excited about trying some of these ideas!
- Fats in Fuel Pull meals have the same guidelines as E meals. [5g fat or less]
- Carbs in Fuel Pulls? They are similar to S meals. Non starchy veggies are perfect, as are berries and some other low carb, low fat products like Joseph’s pitas or recipes like our Egg White Wraps (page 275) [10g carbs or less]
Need some Fuel Pull snacks and meals inspiration? Check out this awesome list of easy and delicious ideas!
This great collection of Fuel Pull snacks and meal ideas is courtesy of Kristen Andrews…thanks Kristen! (Follow her THM FP board on Pinterest for more ideas)
***Please note that some of these ideas are not kosher/Biblically clean**
*Remember to watch fat/carb amounts in your Fuel Pull Snacks and Meals!*
- Two boiled egg whites, small diced tomato, Light Laughing Cow Creamy Mozzarella, Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Flavor cheese wedge on 1/2 low carb pita
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese with strawberries
- Protein shake: 2 Tbs defatted peanut butter flour, 1 cup nut milk, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 tsp coconut extract stevia to taste, spinach
- Slice of deli meat around a pickle spear
- Cinnamon Dippers with Greek yogurt
- 7 almonds with light cheese stick
- 1/2 Joseph’s pita nuked 50 sec into chips and served with Light Laughing Cow cheese and salsa or 1/4 cup cottage cheese and salsa
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Lemon Muffin in a Mug (pg 258): add protein powder in place of cocoa, use 1/2 tsp of lemon extract
- 1/4 c cottage cheese with small tomato and Italian seasoning
- Green beans with hummus
- DIY Sugar Free “Jello”: 2 envelopes gelatin, 1 cup cold water, 1 cup boiling water, 1/2 cup blueberries, 4 TBS Truvia, 1 TBS vanilla or lemon. Directions in bowl, sprinkle gelatin in cold water. Let sit 10 min. Heat 1 cup water, blueberries and Truvia in sauce pan until boiling. Pour over set gelatin until dissolved, add extract and pour into mold. Refrigerate until set.
- Cinnamon Strudel using 1/2 Joseph’s Lavash bread, cinnamon, sweetener and plain Light Laughing Cow Cheese.
- Lettuce Wrap: 2 slices ham (or other lean deli meat), 4 slices tomato, 4 slices cucumber, 2 Tbs shredded cheese, salt and pepper
- Roasted cauliflower with cumin and salt, no oil
- Cocoa Strawberry Fluff
- Chocolate Berriless Whip makes 4 servings: 1 cup 1% cottage cheese, 2 Tbs cocoa, stevia and/or xylitol to taste, 1tsp caramel extract, 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1/2 tsp gluccomannan, almond milk to thin. Blend 2 minutes.
- Salmon and Veggie Saute
- 1/2 low carb pita, Laughing Cow Cheese, deli turkey,dill pickles
- FP Shakes (check out this Pinterest board for ideas)
- Salmon Dip: Greek yogurt, mustard, worcestershire sauce, spices and salmon on 1 on-plan light Wasa cracker
- Cabbage and broccoli with grilled chicken
- Cake Batter Frappe
- Berry Lemon Shake
- Rockin’ Roll Cake
- Raspberry smoothie
- Nighty Night Hot Custard
- Refrigerator Oatmeal (aka Overnight Oats) (Check this Pinterest board for ideas)
- Cottage Berry Whip (pg 379) One of my personal favorites!
- Angel Cake
- BLT soup (no bacon) Broth
- Chocolate ice cream
- Stir fry
- Baked Chicken Teriyaki
- Egg white omelet (pg 217) (try my tweak for a “realistic” looking egg white omelette!)
- FP salad, p 301
- Easy Yogurt Chicken Bake, pg 322
- Light Baked Custard, pg 218
- Sweet & Spicy Asian Stir-fry, pg 341
- Chai Tapioca Pudding, pg 234
- Southwest Chicken, pg 285
- Loaded Fotato Soup, pg 293
- Big Boy Smoothie, pg 242
- Light Tomato Soup, pg 293
- Crock Pot Shredded Chicken: chicken breasts, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Cucumber Salad
- Celery with Light Laughing Cow Cheese
- Joseph FP pizza, pg 280
And since who doesn’t like a bonus now and then…here’s a few of my own Fuel Pull Snacks ideas to add to this fabulous list…
- DIY 3 Ingredient Fat Free Sugar Free Fruit Yogurt
- Grain-Free Zucchini Fritters (NOTE: Use egg whites instead of whole eggs, leave out the flour/arrowroot, leave out the cheese or use low-fat cheese, leave out turkey ham or use a low fat meat instead)
What about protein?
A reader, Bek, asked:
Thanks for these ideas! I am newer to thm but aren’t we supposed to have protein with every meal and snack? I saw a lot of things on the list that don’t seem to include protein so I am confused (roasted cauliflower for example). Did I misunderstand the plan?
I have to admit, I never really thought much about protein when it came to snacks.
While protein is important, you don’t HAVE to have 20 grams in a snack like you should in a meal (unless it’s a Fuel Pull meal, which you keep to 3-4 ounces of protein). For example, if you’re just having roasted cauliflower, since it doesn’t have a high carbohydrate amount, it’s not going to spike you blood sugar.
To contrast, a very common E snack is an apple and a piece of low fat string cheese. The string cheese only has 6 grams of protein, but it’s enough to balance out the carb load of an apple.
One cup of fat free Greek yogurt has 23 grams of protein (and 10 grams carbs), so if you feel like you’re needing protein that would make an excellent Fuel Pull Snack. Sweeten with stevia and add a splash of vanilla and yum! If you want some berries, you’ll need to have just half a cup of yogurt and a sprinkling of berries, since the yogurt and berries both have carbs, in a Fuel Pull setting.
Like this post? Please share with your friends and post to your favorite Pinterest boards!